Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Last Blog....(-_-)

Blogging
Read Chapter 8 and 9

Respond to the following questions:

- When and how do teachers act as designers?
     Teachers, in my opinion have to be designers quite a bit of the time.  They are constantly trying to find innovative coming up with their lesson plans.  As the book stated, design is iniquitous.  Which is true in my opinion.  With that being said, then I also feel that teachers would fall into that category as well.  Teachers usually have many student, which means different learning styles as well.  Teachers, in my opinion act as designers the most when they are trying to prepare a lesson plan, because they have to keep in mind the many different learning styles that they have to accommodate.

- Select one of the followings and explain what it is and how it can be used in classroom: SketchUp, Trebuchet Simulator, Model Car Design, Scratch, iStopMotion, Impromptu. 
     A few of these programs/designs actually seem a bit familiar to me.  I think I may have used done something similar to some of them when I was in high school.  Anyway I choose the SketchUp design.  This is basically a program that would probably be used more in an architectural class for design.  The SketchUp allows the person to have a realistic view of something they want to construct.  They can start off with the 2-D images and work on up to the 3-D images of the build.

- Explain "Digital Storytelling by Kate Kemker." What do you think it would work in your classroom?
     Digital Storytelling in my opinion, just seems like a preparation for someone that runs a YouTube channel.  It seems like a fairly rather process.  First students come up with a story on paper, they use a camera to shoot it, then they upload it and edit it on the computer.  No offense, but I am pretty sure many people were doing that before Kate decided too.  I myself would probably use this in my classroom, since I plan on teaching journalism.  Digital Storytelling will definitely come in handy.

- Mathematics is one of the most abstract subject-matter domains. Helping students to visualize mathematical concepts is very useful in helping students make math real. What other methods suggested in the textbook will also help make math more real to students?
     Since this question started with math I guess the first method that I would suggest is the Visual geometry.  I feel that this method would be very useful, because the students get to choose the primary shapes and construct it by defining different various things about the shape.  The other method that I would use is the Digital Feedback.  This seems like a nice method, because first i is digital, and it also allows for feedback.  I think that when I become a teacher no matter what subject students are learning, technology will be involved in it one way or another.

- Is it possible to learn from TV alone?--that is, learn how to do something merely from watching TV instruction? 
     I feel that yes, it is very possible to learn things from just watching television alone.  I myself would be a prime example of that.  As a child my mother made sure that I watched many educational programs to help me learn.  Before I even reached Kindergarten I learned many of the things that my teacher was teaching just from watching certain show like Barney and Sesame Street.  With that being said I also feel that many bad things and habits can be learned from merely watching television instruction alone.

Reference
Jonassen, David H., and David H. Jonassen. Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can tell your a quick learnes, because I have to do something before I can truly say ive grasped the concept. If I only watch something I may understand it for the moment, but if you asked me the next day I wouldnt be able to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said I think you can learn some stuff from TV, but you also take the risk of learning bad habbits along with it. I myself am a hands on learner, so I think it is awesome that you learn from watching!

    ReplyDelete